The power of Ayurveda and traditional medicine is indisputable. Where modern medicine fails, alternative medicine thrives.
Thereby it is little surprise why even in 2020, Ayurveda is globally popular and widely practised. In light of the recent 2020 pandemic, traditional ingredients and recipes have been much sensationalized.
One such unique recipe is the homemade immunity booster drink: Kadha. Back in the olden days, the drink was used as a potent medicine for coughs, colds and flu during the monsoon season. However, in 2020 the same recipe is being used to protect the body against one of the most infectious and menacing viruses known to mankind.
Before we learn of the Kadha recipe, let’s first acquaint ourselves with the miracle drink.
What is Kadha?
Kadha is a traditional Indian drink usually consumed as an alternative to chai or tea. Predominantly consumed in the monsoon period when our body’s natural immunity levels take a dip, this herbal decoction helps the body accommodate to the climate change and ward off bacterial infections. Kadha is also helpful during cold seasons when allergies are more active.
Loaded with antioxidants, this natural immune booster remedies cold sores, feverish feelings and chronic cough and cold. The Ayurvedic drink is indispensable in strengthening metabolism and enhancing immunity from within.
What are its benefits?
Although chiefly used for colds and flu, Kadha has various other uses. By incorporating the drink in your daily life, you could reap many benefits namely:
- Cure symptoms of cough and cold: As established, Kadha can work wonders to prevent contamination and common flu symptoms. The decoction is the key to regulate our body’s defence mechanism. A strong immune system can successfully intercept and tackle harmful bacteria, virus and disease-causing microorganisms.
- Improve skin health: Thanks to its rich antioxidant composition, Kadha can purify the blood and also help in the process of detoxification. Consuming the herbal drink regularly helps balance skin pigmentation thus revealing glowing, healthy skin.
- Ensure stomach health and regulate bowel movement: Hyperacidity, gastritis, nausea and constipation are common ailments. But they can make life quite troublesome. Kadha has been known to reduce and balance the body heat which helps avert stomach related issues. It is also quite effective in treating constipation disorders.
- Nourish bones: Kadha contains analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties which are quite useful in managing bone conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and more. Additionally, the brew is also beneficial for a few minor muscle and nerve disorders.
- Remedy for urinary tract maladies: There are so many who find problems related to the urinary tract embarrassing and thus avoid getting proper treatment. But alas, stones, infections and soreness can be highly painful. While consulting a doctor is an absolute must under such circumstance Kadha is quite helpful in reducing pain and swelling. In fact, herbs used in Kadha are also used for removal of stones or calculi or spasms of the urinary tract.
What are its side-effects?
Too much of anything is bad. So, no matter how beneficial the Ayurvedic drink Kadha maybe, if consumed in drastic amounts it can cause you some potential damage. Nausea and heartburn are some common problems that may emerge due to excessive consumption.
It is advised to drink Kadha not more than two times in a day. Begin your day with the refreshing brew and enjoy it again in the evening once more.
Recipe for Kadha drink:
The immune-boosting drink can be made easily, with little to no level of expertise. The herbs and spice utilized in the decoction are available in any Indian kitchen or at least any Indian grocery at meagre prices.
Ingredients required for Kadha:
- 5-6 Tulsi leaves
- 1 black cardamom or 2 green cardamoms
- ½ cup diced raw turmeric
- 1 tbsp of cloves
- 1 tbsp of black peppercorns
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5-6 tbsp of sliced ginger
- 1 tbsp of raisins
- 1 tsp honey
How to make the Kadha drink:
- Take the washed and peeled slices of turmeric and ginger in the previously mentioned quantities and make a fine paste. You may use a mortar and pestle to achieve the desired fineness.
- Boil the mixture in 4 cups of water till a faint yellow colour becomes noticeable and the whiff of ginger is strong. An approximate of 5-6 minutes should be enough to attain the requisite result.
- Proceed to add the rest of the aforementioned ingredients to the turmeric-ginger water. Let the brew boil on medium heat and for 15-20 minutes.
- The water will reduce as it heats so feel free to adjust the quantity as per how many cups you want to make.
- Strain the bowl.
- Add a teaspoon of honey to your cup for taste and added benefits. Your herbal drink is now ready for you to enjoy.
This home remedy for cough and cold is excellent in every sense of the word. The Tulsi, ginger and honey exhibit anti-inflammatory properties while the cloves and peppercorns act as expectorants.
All the ingredients complement one another and help improve and bolster lung health.
While the vaccines for the dreaded Covid-19 stills remains elusive, Kadha can help combat and resist the disease. A few Covid-19 survivors have even gone on the record to claim that the drink played a pronounced role in their recovery.
Consume this natural immune booster twice daily as a precautionary measure and let it work miracles on your health.